Friday, April 28, 2017

Tell Your Story Recipe: Swedish Cream

from Suzi Olson

 “One of our family’s favorite desserts is Swedish Cream. I remember as a child loving Christmas dinner because my mom always made Swedish Cream. It was saved for special occasions and we children always went back for seconds because we knew when it was gone it would be a long time until we had it again.

Then when I was in junior high, my parents decided that each Christmas they would have an open house and invite all the people we loved to celebrate the holidays with us. My mom wanted her friends to enjoy a night off so she did all the cooking. I enjoyed helping her bake and loved my time spent beside her. The menu changed from year to year, but the Swedish Cream was always on the menu.  Every year she had to make more because it became a favorite for everyone who attended. My mom still makes it every year.  My children love it and now we make it for special occasions.” 

Swedish Cream

1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 pint sour cream
1 Tablespoon Knox unflavored gelatin
1 cup sugar

Instructions:

Combine whipping cream, gelatin and sugar in top of double boiler. Put over medium heat, stir occasionally. Heat until all is dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Add sour cream and pour into buttered mold. Chill until firm. Serve with thawed frozen berries (I prefer raspberries), can thicken with 2 tablespoons corn starch. Add a little lemon juice to enhance the flavor. Unmold, drizzle sauce over and garnish with a sprig of holly for a beautiful Christmas dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment