Friday, April 28, 2017

Tell Your Story Recipe: Grand "D's" Caramels

Heather Barth

As long as I can remember, making caramels has been a thing in my family.  I believe it started with my mother's mother and I recall them being wrapped in waxed paper with a twist on each end. She and my grandfather lived on Berkeley Street when I was in elementary school at Rosslyn Heights. What a treat it was to walk home from school and take a detour to her house before going home. As soon as I got there she splashed me with Jean Nate ("my goodness you smell like school"), gave me a big hug, and spoiled my dinner with a caramel she had made(or a peppermint taffy if the caramels were gone)!

After my grandmother passed away, my father started making the caramels...and boy did he take it to a new level! The freshest ingredients, the best candy thermometer money could buy, cut by hand meticulously with a ruler (now he uses a mold), packed carefully in paper candy cups, and refrigerated so the corners would stay perfectly square! For many years the most coveted Christmas gift in the Parleys 1st Ward was a box of OD Hall's caramels!  

I don't have my dad's envied patience or penchant for perfection, so I don't even try to make these caramels any more (although my sister Alicia Richardson does and hers are fantastic), but the memory of them is pure love!  And trust me they are delicious!

You perfectionists out there...give it a try!


Grand "D's" Caramels

4 cups sugar
Few grains salt
4 cups corn syrup
1 cup butter
2 pints whipping cream
2 tsp. vanilla


Boil sugar, salt and corn syrup to 240 degrees.  Add butter.  Put on lid and boil up the sides.  Remove lid.  Add whipping cream gradually, taking 20 minutes.  Cook until 236 degrees, firm ball.  Remove from heat.  Add vanilla.  Pour into buttered molds or a buttered jellyroll pan.  Sit room temperature until cooled.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment