Friday, April 28, 2017

Tell Your Story Recipe: Banana Cake

from Maegan Orchard

“Banana cake has been our family's "go-to" birthday cake since my mother was a little girl. Every year, my mom and all three of her siblings had this as their cake of choice for their birthday parties. Initially, my grandma chose this cake from others because she believed it was somewhat healthy because of the bananas. She laughed as she told me that...Oh a mother's reasoning!

My mom has passed down this cake to her own family and my three siblings and I love it just as much. Every year, for as long as I can remember, this has been the highlight of my birthday party. Even my close friends have come to love and look forward to this cake. It is moist perfection and the buttercream frosting is the ultimate compliment to our family favorite cake. “

Banana Birthday Cake

2 1/3 cups flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium bananas)
2/3 cup oil
2/3 cup buttermilk, divided
3 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
Buttercream Frosting:
1 cube (1/2 cup) butter
¼ cup milk
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar (until desired consistency)

Instructions for cake:
Grease and flour two 9” layer pans. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add oil, 1/3 cup buttermilk and mashed bananas. Beat for 2 minutes then add 3 eggs and another 1/3 cup buttermilk. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes, or until cake tests done. Cool.

Instructions for frosting:

Beat the butter with part of the powdered sugar. Add the milk and vanilla and the remaining powdered sugar until it is the consistency you like. We sometimes have to add more milk to thin it out. Turn the mixer to high and whip the frosting for 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment